Tuesday, April 13, 2010

WePad

The tablet/eReader I am looking forward to is the WePad.

It has what Apple lacks. Open platform, a web cam, and a better sized screen.

Open Platform:
There is plenty of talk about how Apple likes to be the dictator of what you can do with the device you buy, so I'm not going to rehash that here. I will say that it looks like the WePad doesn't suffer from one person delusions of grandeur. It will run anything that runs on Android; which is a significant number of Apps.


Web Cam:
I mean, come on Apple, how could you leave this out? You could have grabbed the book market and the video phone market. I suspect it will be in future releases. I also suspect their will be a mad rush of people selling their 1st Gen iPad for a newer one. At this point they will all suddenly agree that it should have had a web cam to begin with.

Screen Size:
Its a bigger screen that looks more comfortable to use for media and browsing. This is actually a minor detail, but when I was looking at an iPad, it just didn't 'feel' quite the correct size.


WePad Cons:
It has less battery life. This is to be expected; however I am still waiting for some battery life numbers to come in from the iPad after it's been out for a moth or so.

It's not out yet, so the fact sheet could be wrong. According to the site, on 4/26 a WePad will be put into the hands of critics.

The WePad's price is listed as 449 Euros. I don't know how that will translate to US dollars at the time of release.

The biggest downside is that its initial mass release will be in German this August.
Still if it does what it's claimed to do, then it will be worth the wait.

My advice to everyone is to hold off on buying the iPad.






No comments:

What I mean by 'Idea'

By 'Idea' I mean something practical. This might be an improvement or something new but it should be practical.
For example:
"We should all have jet packs."
While a great idea, it's not very practical.
If I had an idea on how to improve the thrust/weight ratio, then that would be a practical idea. That being the only real problem that would need to be solved for jet packs.