Friday, April 16, 2010

iPad

I finally went to look at the iPad. It was very...meh.
Nothing really new there. I had high hopes, but it pretty much does what the Touch does, only bigger.

Moving through a book as slow, and as an eBook reading I would place it write in the "It's OK" status. The kindle is a lot easier on the eyes.

At no point would I have used the word 'Magical'. It's known tech.

Not to say it doesn't have an use, or wouldn't be interesting to have, just that nothing about it makes me want to jump right out and get one.

The only reason I wouldn't want to ge one is Apple's obsession with control on their appliances.
What I can read, what I can put on it, and planned obsolesce is all a little much for me.

It's always a trade off. If it was substantial cheaper, then the trade off would be worth the risk. If it did something mind blowing, maybe it would be worth the risk of not being able to do what I want with it.

As it stand, meh.

To put technology that's being used in perspective:


Not so magical now, is it?

People are going way too nuts over this thing.I understood the iPod. It was a revolutionary mp3 player. The iPhone was pretty nice.
I can only think the people who call it 'magical' are either getting paid my Apple to use the as a buzzword, using it to justify not actual having a reason to spend that money, or have been brought here from 1989.


No comments:

What I mean by 'Idea'

By 'Idea' I mean something practical. This might be an improvement or something new but it should be practical.
For example:
"We should all have jet packs."
While a great idea, it's not very practical.
If I had an idea on how to improve the thrust/weight ratio, then that would be a practical idea. That being the only real problem that would need to be solved for jet packs.